Cook the chicken for 1 hour. Poultry, like fish, absorbs smoke very quickly and a little goes a long way. Step 2: Dry Brine. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for low heat. We recommend setting up the grill or smoker for indirect heat to cook at 300F. ***Completely New to Using a Pellet Grill? Insert temperature probe into thickest part of chicken thigh. Apply the rub to the underside of each quarter, and then underneath the skin. Pro Tip: If you want the crispiest skin possible, avoid basting or spraying the chicken thighs with anything while they are smoking. Due to this, you dont want to use any woods that would overpower it. If you just want to get a good classic BBQ rub on your Pit Boss smoked chicken thighs before throwing them in, then weve got you covered with this simple rub recipe with seasonings most people have on hand in the pantry: This will be enough rub for about 8 smoked chicken thighs so adjust accordingly. Preheat the Pit Boss to 300F. Place the chicken thighs on the Pit Boss with the skin side UP. Place the smoked chicken thighs back in the smoker and smoke for a few minutes before flipping the chicken thighs over. Prime rib on my Pit Boss. This is because unlike with chicken breasts, chicken thighs have a higher quantity of fat. In order to cook ANYTHING well on a Pit Boss pellet grill, you need to first have a basic understanding of how a pellet grill works. Using a mesh strainer, strain the marinade directly into a cast iron skillet. 8. If there is a probe thermometer attached, insert it into one of the chicken thighs. Next, pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Place chicken, potatoes, carrots, Rosemary, and Thyme in Cast Iron Side 340 Show detail Preview View more Mix the two types of Blues Hog BBQ sauce together in a small bowl, and once the skin on the chicken thighs is crispy, gently baste the sauce on with a basting brush. Plug in the pellet grill, turn it on and let it run through its start up process. Place the chicken thighs on a wire rack placed on top of a baking sheet. Dry Brine the Chicken Thighs to Smoke on the Pit Boss After cleaning and trimming, simply coat the inside and outside of your chicken thighs with kosher salt, or your favorite BBQ rub that has already salt in it. You can easily skip it and simply serve the chicken thighs with a side of sauce. As outdoor living enthusiasts, we love to mention and link to various products we have used or researched. Well, actually you dont instead, you are going to set the temperature to 225 F. According to the manufacturer, the temperature range for the Smoke setting on the Pit Boss grills is between 180 and 210 F. This is far too low to cook chicken thighs. Now adjust the temperature to where you need it to cook your food. Share     Chicken Wings On A Pit Boss Pellet Grill. Smoking your chicken thighs at a high enough temperature on the Pit Boss to render out the fat underneath the skin is important, but so is the seasoning and the way you do it. Again, no need to oil them up, this will just inhibit the skin from getting crispy. Remove the thighs from the marinade, fold in half and wrap with a slice of bacon. Some people do like a stronger smoke flavor and will choose hickory. In a 300F Pit Boss, it will take roughly 1.5-2 hours to smoke bone-in chicken thighs. How to Smoke Chicken Thighs Quick step by step is here but we have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well: Time needed: 50 minutes. If you are cooking for a crowd, it can be temping to try and cram as many of the chicken thighs on the grill grates as you can manage. Youll want to monitor the internal temperature of the chicken thighs closely for doneness. It is due to this that I take the smoked chicken thighs off at 175 degrees. Allow chicken to smoke for 10 minutes, then increase grill temperature to 400F. Next, set the temperature to preheat the Pit Boss pellet grill to 350F. Trader Joe's Buffalo Chicken Dip; 21 Turkey Tenderloin Recipes; 11 Weight Watchers Cheesecake Recipes; Weight watchers baked potato soup; Deliciously Light Baked Tuscan Chicken; Facebook; Twitter; . Keep in mind that even the best wood pellets have a best-by date. Now, gently put the thighs on the indirect side. ), Aug 1, 2022 If you prefer a softer casing without that crispiness, you can wrap the boudin in aluminum foil before you grill it, or use a Grill Frying Pan, How to Get Crispy Skin on your Pit Boss Smoked Chicken Thighs, Dry Brine the Chicken Thighs to Smoke on the Pit Boss. If you were to try to make smoked chicken thighs at this temperature, it would take you a very long time. When it comes to rubs, I have to say that the store bought versions can be pretty great as long as you buy a tried and trusted brand. Preheat the Pit Boss to 300F. This is what makes chicken one of the most popular foods to cook in an outdoor bbq. Take the smoked chicken thighs out of the grill. If you want something a little richer, check out our Sticky Smoked Sweet Potatoes to cook and serve alongside your Pit Boss smoked chicken. This is because they can cook unevenly. When smoking chicken thighs or any part of the chicken I like to err on the side of caution. Again, you can dry brine with JUST the salt the night before, or brine with the entire rub recipe, but dont add the salt TWICE! of onion powder 1 tsp. In fact, I would argue that they need this period even more than other cuts of meat. Return to the smoker for 10 minutes to set the sauce. It works on all cuts of chickenand turkey too. 2 weeks ago smokergrillgirl.com Show details . We are going to smoke these chicken thighs fairly hot on the PIt Boss so that they gets nice and crispy up top. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-2','ezslot_27',176,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-2-0');Its got a great free app that is constantly being updated and even has an algorithm to predict how much longer your type of meat will take to cook based on cooking temperature, target temperature, current internal temperature. Step 5: Let Them Rest. Directions When ready to cook, fire up your Pit Boss and preheat to 225F. You will need to watch both your cooking temperature and internal temperature carefully when smoking the chicken thighs on your Pit Boss. They should be in a cool, dry place away from any damp. Place the bag in the fridge for 24 hours . Remove the chicken thighs from their packaging and rinse under cold running water. Thigh fillets are great sliced or chopped in stir-fries, or in casseroles. That being said, if you want extra crispy skin or want to reduce the risk of rubbery chicken, then you should consider changing the pellet grill temperature to 250 degrees F. Now, if you do this, I would suggest that you keep a closer eye on the internal temp of the smoked chicken thighs. Then turn the temperature to 250F. Our Pit Boss Smoked Chicken Thighs are first dry brined and seasoned overnight to get the most flavor and crispiest skin possible. You have just read the ultimate guide. However, if you are using a no-sugar rub like Bad Byrons, feel free to smoke the chicken thighs at 325-350F. Poultry has a tendency to dry out so the last thing that I want is to smoke the meat at a too-high temperature. Remove the neck, heart, liver, and other gunk from the cavity with your hand. The only time that I would suggest using olive oil to the surface of the chicken thighs is if you are using skinless thighs. Learn how to make the best smoked chicken thighs with crispy skin using a Pit Boss pellet grill! This is because I feel like these ingredients work best with the smoked chicken thighs flavor. Well be here when you get back!***. Smoke the chicken, skin side down until the chicken is lightly browned and the skin releases from the grate without ripping, about 6-8 minutes. If you have checked out any of my other recipes, then you will know that I am not the biggest fan of basting. Dishwasher safe. 250 F / 121 C. Most commercial sauces are also incredibly sweet to the point where you cant really taste much else. The skin will now crisp up nicely on the Pit Boss while the inside meat stays moist. When it comes to smoking chicken thighs, however, I wouldnt say it was completely necessary. Step 3: Preheat The Pit Boss Grill. Ingredients 8 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick) 3 Tablespoon Olive oil To Taste Traeger Pork & Poultry Rub 2 Includes 1 pound bag of each flavor Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Pecan and Jack DanielsIncludes 1 pound bag of each flavor Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Pecan and Jack Daniels. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'madbackyard_com-netboard-1','ezslot_28',177,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-netboard-1-0');Depending on the size of your chicken thighs, how consistent your Pit Boss temperature is, the humidity outside, as well a number of other factors, your cooking time may be more or less, so be prepared. If you put BBQ sauce on while the chicken skin is still raw it will NEVER crisp up. Next, wait for 5 to 7 minutes until you can hear an ignition sound. If there are pellets in the hopper, make sure that there is enough for the cook. This prevents the smoke flavor from permeating into the meat. I have found that it makes the skin rather soggy. Our favorites are the Competition Blend and Hickory Blend. Season Chicken Thighs: Drizzle each thigh with a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then liberally apply dry rub to each thigh. As you can see from the recipe, I have gone with a more traditional BBQ rub. For Great Baking Recipes, Check Out Our Partner Site Youre Gonna Bake It After All. What Temperature Do You Smoke Chicken Thighs on a Pit Boss Pellet Grill? Chicken thighs only need a little bit of trimming before smoking them on the Pit Boss but it makes a BIG difference. Smoked a chicken, pork shoulder and brisket for the first time! Then we smoke them at medium indirect heat on the Pit Boss pellet grill. Total Time: 150 min Prep Time: 30 min Pellet Type: Blend Smoke Temp: 250 degrees Internal Temp: 165 degrees If you're like me you frequently crave chicken wings. barbecue, barbecue chicken, bbq, BBQ Chicken, bbq chicken thighs, chicken thighs, dark meat, dry meat, pellet grill, Pit Boss, pit boss chicken thighs, Pit Boss Recipes, Pit Boss Smoked Chicken, poultry, Smoked Chicken, smoked chicken thighs. Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes, until the sauce sets. How Long Does it Take to Smoke Chicken Thighs on a Pit Boss Pellet Grill? Rest the chicken thighs loosely under a foil tent for 10 minutes before serving. Repeat until all of the thighs get their skin crisped. You can even leave them on the wire rack if you wish. If your smoked chicken thighs are big enough, youll want a good leave in probe thermometer like the Thermopro as well as a second instant read thermometer to spot check as you get close to pulling them off the Pit Boss. When it comes to grilling chicken thighs, you are used to flipping the thighs on a regular basis. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_25',171,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_26',171,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-narrow-sky-1-0_1');.narrow-sky-1-multi-171{border:none!important;display:block!important;float:none!important;line-height:0;margin-bottom:7px!important;margin-left:auto!important;margin-right:auto!important;margin-top:7px!important;max-width:100%!important;min-height:250px;padding:0;text-align:center!important}The best woods for smoking chicken include the fruitwoods like apple, cherry, and peach, but also the milder smoking woods like pecan, oak and alder. Arrange them on a grill mat and transfer them to your smoker or place chicken onto the grill grate. Master of the Pit. Secure the bacon with a skewer/toothpick. In today's video recipe Tami will show you how to make Pit Boss Chicken Thighs. When ready to cook, fire up your Pit Boss and preheat to 225F. Whether you're a seasoned pro or . You will have seen that before brining the chicken thighs that I placed them on a wire rack that was stacked on a baking sheet. While their rubs are great, their sauces are WORLD CLASS. You'll love this pellet grill recipe for chicken. For instance, some people like to add chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to increase the spice factor. Smoke until chicken reaches 170 - 175F, usually about 30-35 minutes. Close the lid and smoke chicken thighs until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F. This may take around 90 minutes. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'madbackyard_com-mobile-leaderboard-2','ezslot_24',175,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-mobile-leaderboard-2-0');Any higher, and you risk burning the sugar in your BBQ rub. Best of all, though, there is a taste of freshness that you just cant replicate with the homemade version. If you do, I would suggest only using a small amount of hickory and filling the rest of the hopper with cherry wood. Dunk in the sauce again. This means the fire rod has fully heated up to burn the pellets more cleanly. Usually only about 5 minutes. The problem with most smoked chicken is that while the meat inside gets tender and delicious, the skin is usually a little rubbery and unappetizing. Using Suckle buster Clucker dust. The reason that I did this was so that air could circulate all around the chicken thighs. Try Bad Byron Butt Rub on beef, fish, vegetables, potatoes, and much more! No Worries! Weve all had BBQ chicken with rubbery, flabby, skin soaked in sauce. Now adjust the temperature to where you need it to cook your food. . Place the chicken in the smoker. 3 Cup Traeger Apricot BBQ Sauce, warmed. People are aware that they should do this for the whole chicken and for large cuts of meat but most dont realize that chicken thighs needed to be rested too. Fill the pellet hopper with your choice of smoking wood pellets. If you want a quality rub without ANY sugar, we are big fans of Bad Byrons Butt Rub Seasoning. Target Internal Temperature for Smoked Chicken Thighs. If you are planning on basting the smoked chicken thighs later on, it is a good idea to consider if your spice rub matches the flavor profile of the sauce. Turn the chicken over Side 470 Show detail Preview View more   Side dishes definitely need to keep up with the smoky flavor too! You can remove it from the bottom and dump or vacuum it out and then put back and clip into place. Their Original BBQ Sauce is VERY thick, VERY sweet, and incredibly heavy on flavor, so a little goes a LONG way. Continue smoking the chicken thighs, rotating occasionally, until the internal temperature reaches 160-165F internally. Set the grill to your preferred smoke temperature and give it time to reach and hold that temperature. Keep in mind that you have worked really hard to dry out the skin so that it gets crispy later on. From extrabbqsauce.com See details BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS PELLET SMOKER - THERESCIPES.INFO If there were pellets in the hopper, skip the priming process. As you can see from the recipe, I boost the temperature up to 400 degrees towards the end. If your Pit Boss has a temperature probe, then this isnt an issue for you. As for the skin, it is tasty and crisps up really well as it is smoked. This is all the moisture you need to get the salt or rub to adhere. If you want to put BBQ sauce on your Pit Boss Smoked Chicken Thighs, great. This may take 1.5-2 hours. Smoking both the legs adds a flavorful taste you just can't get from a traditional charcoal or gas grill. Close the lid and continue cooking. In fact, we actually like to cut it with their Tennessee Red Sauce, which is a thinner, more vinegar based sauce, that is our hands down favorite sauce to use on our pulled pork as described here. This seems to be the best temperature for smoking chicken thighs on a Pit Boss. The Pit Boss pellet grill makes it easy to smoke, cook, rotisserie, or reheat both chicken legs. Fill your hopper with pellets as described above. Add the ingredients and let it simmer for a while it is as easy as that! Smoking chicken thighs will take about an hour, and afterward, they're so tender you can cut them with a fork! If you wish to skip this step to have more control over the situation, then you absolutely can! For most chicken parts, you would smoke to an internal temperature of 165 F. In this case, however, I smoke chicken thighs past this point. 128 . When dealing with raw meat, it is important to avoid letting it reach room temperature. Chicken thighs with the bone in are a lot tastier as the bone adds flavor. It is easy to forget that chicken thighs need to be rested too. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'madbackyard_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_23',172,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-madbackyard_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0'); We have previously covered how to season a Pit Boss, how to start a Pit Boss, as well as how to troubleshoot the smoke level of your pellet grill. Feb 14, 2018 1,015 676 Hamden, CT. Feb 8, 2019 #4 . Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, Caribbean Jerk seasoning, garlic, ginger, lime juice, kosher salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to a bowl and whisk until evenly mixed. The pellet grill automatically controls the flow of pellets depending on your temperature setting so that you maintain an even temperature throughout the entire cook. Cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until a thermometer registers 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the thighs. They can get soft and become difficult to smoke. What Temperature to Smoke Chicken Legs At? Apply a generous amount of rub to each chicken thigh. Yes, buying store bought barbecue sauce is easier. Whats more, since I add barbecue sauce later on, I find that the rub complements the sauce as well. Pat, it dry with paper towels before seasoning. This is why you should always read your owners manual before you get started. Preheat your Traeger or other pellet grill to 275F. This way, the heat and air is allowed to circulate around the thighs, ensuring that they cook evenly and at a similar rate. This way, you dont take away from the rub or overpower the natural taste of the chicken. Sprinkle salt and pepper directly on the meat all over, and also on the skin. Due to this, you get to enjoy the delicious taste of the rub. I'm Kristy a chef and connoisseur of all things BBQ! For another, the flavor of chicken thighs is a bit mild. If you add sauce before the skin gets crispy, IT WILL NEVER GET CRISPY at that point. Before you do anything else, you will need to check the hopper of your Pit boss pellet grill. As a result, I perfected many of my BBQ recipes on it including smoked chicken thighs. Flip the chicken thighs over so the bottoms are exposed and trim away the loose flabby skin that is likely hanging off each one. Thus, it is up to you to decide what you like. It means the salt has penetrated into the meat where you want it to be and has taken all the moisture with it. These pieces will simply char when the chicken thighs are smoked for as long as they will be. Place the chicken quarters in a pot and smoke for an hour and a half, or so, until the meat is heated to 165oF and has cooked fully.In a bowl, place the chicken parts, then let them rest for about 10 minutes. I am here to dissuade you from doing this. Leave some space in between each chicken thigh. I like to this at the halfway point about 45 minutes into the cook. 4. No, not really. Since we are only smoking these at 300F we dont need to worry about burning any sugary rubs. First we are going to do an easy dry brine to make sure they are moist and flavorful and that the skin stays nice and crispy. We also think the meat just tastes better when cooked that high as all the fat renders out completely. of black pepper 1/4 tsp. Sometimes, you forgot you ran out of your favorite rub, or dont have all the ingredients on hand to make a complex one from scratch. Spray the grates with non-stick spray. If really are having a hard time getting your BBQ rub to adhere, use the smallest amount of cooking oil possible to make it stick. No need to flip during the cook. Grill an additional 15 minutes, then baste again. Fill an aluminum pan with water pan if you want to add extra moisture, and place it on the far left side of the Pit Boss pellet grill. Making your own BBQ sauce can seem a bit intimidating but it isnt too difficult at all. Add your wood to the coals. Mix thoroughly, (using a re-usable plastic shaker works best), and then sprinkle directly on your chicken. Smoke at 275F for a cook time of approximately two and a half hours until the internal temperature of the breast is 165F and the thigh is 180F. Pit boss smoked chicken thighs recipe. Chicken Thighs flip each thigh upside down and carefully remove the excess skin on the bottom with a good meat carving knife trimming chicken thighs. So, should you make your own or choose a commercial version? Make Texas barbecue for a living, love food from all parts of the world. Step 2. Not just any chicken wings but the ones with crispy skin and the perfect amount of seasoning that makes you excited to grab the very next wing. . or increase the amount of chili powder and other savory seasonings. Cooking chicken breasts @ 350F for 20-30 minutes will take around 20-30 minutes. Combine the dry rub ingredients and season the thighs. Smoking chicken thighs on a Pit Boss pellet grill involves getting the rub, smoking temp, and smoking technique just right! This is to ensure that the skin gets nice and crispy since I am smoking the chicken thighs at 225 degrees. Plug in and start up the pellet grill, keeping the lid, If there are no pellets in the auger or firepot yet, only in the hopper, you need to now hold the, Close the lid and change the temperature setting to. Smoked chicken thighs made on a pellet grill are incredibly juicy and flavorful. Directions Place drumsticks on a rack over a drip tray or baking sheet. You HAVE to use a good instant read meat thermometer to know where the internal temperature is of your smoked chicken thighs on the Pit Boss. If you have a lot of chicken thighs to smoke, I would suggest doing this in batches. Just make sure that they dont stay out on the counter for longer than an hour. In this post, I will give you a top-notch BBQ chicken thighs recipe, show you how to manage the Pit Boss grill, and show you tips and tricks for perfecting this dish. Got a digital temp ready with probe and so far is pretty cool. Smoke at 275F for one hour. I was using a Dyna-glo bullet smoker and used hickory or whiskey barrel wood, tips and advice are much appreciated! Flip the legs over and cook for another 15 minutes or until an internal temperature of 180-185F is reached. This will be followed by a greater amount of smoke. Chill in the fridge for at least three hours, and up to 24 hours before smoking. Plug in and start up the pellet grill, keeping the lid, If there are no pellets in the auger or firepot yet, only in the hopper, you need to now hold the , Close the lid and change the temperature setting to. Once the Pit Boss has come up to 350F, drop the temperature on the control panel to 300 and clean the grill grates with a good grill brush and close the lid. Place the legs, skin side up, on the grill rack. SEASON Brush your chicken thighs with olive oil and sprinkle the poultry rub liberally onto each thigh. This will take about 10-15 minutes to preheat the grill. When it does break down, though, it results in juicier and tastier smoked chicken thighs. This will ensure that they cook at a similar rate. This is because they did not allow the skin to crisp up before gently applying the sauce. Chicken breasts that are less in size will . If it was emptied out during the last cook, then you will need to prime the grill before you can commence with the smoking process. Smoked Chicken Breasts Recipe Ingredients 4 chicken breasts, bone in and skin on Dry Rub 1 tbs. Advanced Estimator Algorithm: Can estimate how long to cook and rest your food to help plan your meal and manage your time. Then wrapping tray with foil for about an hour or internal temp of 200. Once it is done resting, you can serve it. In both my professional and personal life Ive picked up more than a few tips and tricks for turning out delicious food. 119 Show detail Preview View more . Be sure to coat both sides and under the skin with rub. Smoked Chicken Thighs. Massage the chicken pieces to coax the oil and seasonings under the skin. Instead, you can simply take the smoked chicken thighs off the pellet grill at the same time. Close pellet grill lid and smoke at 275 degrees for about 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Baste chicken with BBQ sauce and smoke for 10 minutes.