Instead . And the intensity of volleyball was putting too much stress on her cardiovascular system. On April 19 2022 he opened up . The previous tests hadn't picked up on her deteriorating condition. Shaquille O'Neal's wife and kids are Shareef, Amirah, Shaqir, and Me'arah. I'm rich," O'Neal said while breaking down his parenting philosophy on the podcast. "I also didn't want her to have to take blood thinners [as an athlete]. Basketball Hall of Famer Shaquille O'Neal discussed his 2011 divorce from ex-wife Shaunie Nelson on a podcast on Tuesday. * Honor Roll Shaquille O'Neal has six children, five biological children and one stepchild. Their younger sister, MeArah, is also getting Divison I offers, but has not yet committed anywhere. "She said what needed to be said.". All rights reserved. and she's like, 'I don't know, I just know. Where do you think the four-star prospect will end up committing to. ", When Jermaine told her that they'd have to fly to Cleveland, Asjia's first reaction was, "Wait, am I going to miss my next game?". Up until that morning, O'Neal felt in control. That was unacceptable. CSUN's Merren, East Bay's Smith win CalHOPE, New NCAA president readies for NIL, legal issues, Tennessee coach Vitello to return after suspension, No. are unconfirmed rumors. The point after that, O'Neal blocks the Oklahoma attack, 24-21 Texas. I see the doubt in they faces, they didnt think I would make it, she wrote in the caption. She was a middle schooler and didn't want to draw attention to her differences. Shaquille O'Neal's 13-year-old daughter, Me'arah, can dunk. To find out more about the college player and her rising career, read on. * Likes to drawing, painting and cooking. Her doctor entered the room, holding her results in his hands. "I see the doubt in they faces, they didn't think I would make it," she wrote on Instagram. Southlake (Texas) Carroll sophomore volleyball star Asjia O'Neal has committed to Texas for the Class of 2018. as well as other partner offers and accept our. During her freshman year at Crossroads, O'Neal started all 24 games, averaging 5.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.5 blocks per game. As she went under, O'Neal remembered hearing "Started from the Bottom," a song her nurses picked for her when she told them she loved Drake. The father-of-six says he's been playing with Tonka's trucks "since the seventies" and buying them for his own children since the 90s. Were hoping this will be a springboard where other people will take notice and other high-caliber athletes will give TSU and other HBCUs a chance as well.". This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Texas wants to ban delta-8, but veterans are pushing back, Astros GM Dana Brown the antithesis of his predecessors, UH, Texas A&M removing DEI statements from hiring practices, The Breakfast Klub sues prominent City Hall consultant for fraud, Houston is the most stressful city to work in, says new study, Lauren Daigle at Houston Rodeo: 'God always has your number', Galveston gets fourth Carnival Cruise Line, Shaqir, announced in May that he was joining TSUs mens basketball program, former WNBA Houston Comets star Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, Houston-area boys basketball playoffs: Regional final scores, Texas Southern falls to rival Prairie View A&M in season finale, Washington advances to state basketball tournament, A history of funding failures at Texas HBCUs. In terms of height O'Neal is a . From vegan to keto, which diet has the highest carbon footprint. The oldest of seven children, Harrison explained the violence by saying his Jamaican father beat him . O'Neal stands . "I had tears in my eyes," Jermaine said. TSU did finish last season with a 5-10 record during the pandemic-ravaged season. 1 in heart care in the U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals rankings. "Let's get it over with," she said. While they're no longer a couple, they still share five children. She had a congenital heart condition, but she didn't want to use it as an excuse, so she pushed herself, sometimes to the brink, before Koehler noticed her struggling and made her leave the court. She nudges the ball over the net, and the referee blows the whistle. However, Coopers squad boasted a 20-10 record in 2019. Shaquille O'Neal's daughter has now received two scholarship offers from Division I programs. At 15, when she saw Texas head coach Jerritt Elliott at several of her matches, her excitement grew. The level at which Texas played was so much higher than what she was used to, but all the other freshmen did it, so why couldn't she? Took a red shirt in her freshman season. SHAQUILLE O'Neal is arguably one of the greatest basketball players and centers of all time. Privacy Policy Amirah's little sister, Me'arah (left) is a rising sophomore at Crossroads School, where she plays basketball. Little did she know that her chest would be sawed open again. Their . Jermaine ONeal played on multiple NBA teams and was multiple year all star after being one of the nations early high school phenoms in South Carolina. "I heard the word 'volleyball,' and I just wanted to say hello. They talked about the weather and the upcoming 2019 season, when O'Neal, a 6-foot-3 middle blocker, would make her debut after redshirting her first season with the Longhorns. It didn't feel like this was her game, like this was what she was meant to do. The L.A. event, which featured Zedd, Diplo and Lil Wayne, was a smash success. Shaquille O' Neal disclosed the importance of hard work, education, and how he instilled those core values into his six children, whose ages range from 16 to 24, on July 6 during a discussion . The former Ozen High star and 14-year NBA vet has more on his mind than basketball, offering essays on life, his family and America. Aug. 2, 2021. "All lives can't matter, until Black lives matter," she says in the video, looking directly at the camera. Gave birth to her 5th child at age 31, a daughter Mearah Sanaa O'Neal on May 1, 2006. Shaquille O'Neal returned to LSU on Saturday, but it wasn't for him. TSU is no stranger to high-profile celebrities and athletes. In addition to Shaq's former wife of 9 years, Shaunie O'Neal, the basketball legend has been linked to countless women. He's also a forward at LSU, just on the men's team. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Joseph covers SMU, college sports and the Texas Rangers for The Dallas Morning News. Southlake Carroll junior Asjia O'Neal spikes the ball during a match on September 20, 2016. "MOM, SOMETHING IS very wrong. With the LSU Tigers, he was a two-time Consensus First-Team All-American selection. He currently works as a sports analyst on a tv program named Inside the NBA.. Often regarded as one of the greatest basketball players, Shaquille led his teams to the NBA playoffs every season except for a few ones. Shaquille O'Neal's third daughter, Taahirah, 24, is from his relationship with ex Arnetta Yardbourgh. She was on Southlake Carrolls varsity as a freshman but Southlake coach Ryan Mitchell has brought ONeal along slowly due to the impact overwhelming expectations coming too quickly and after ONeal had to undergo surgery to repair a heart valve as a 13-year-old. She just decided shes not playing high school volleyball, then-Carroll head coach Ryan Mitchell said at the time. 1 overall pick in the 1992 NBA Draft. But doctors told the O'Neal family that Asjia could lead an otherwise normal life. Before the surgery, even a long warm-up exercise -- which included yoga postures like downward dog, sugarcane and bow pose -- would leave her winded. A 2024 prospect, her recruiting has taken off as of late, and getting down to Baton Rouge was clearly of the utmost importance. Amirah ONeal, the daughter of NBA legend and Hall of Famer Shaquille ONeal, has announced that she is leaving her fathers alma mater to play at a historically Black college in Texas. Amirah O'Neal, the daughter of NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal, announced her college basketball commitment Thursday to her father's alma mater LSU.. She posted the decision on Instagram.Her brother . During her junior season she had 509 kills and 121 blocks to lead Southlake Carroll to the Class 6A Region I final. Shaquille O'Neal's 13-year-old daughter, Me'arah, can dunk. Amirah O'Neal (Image source: Instagram - @amirahoneal) Amirah O'Neal, the daughter of NBA legend and Hall of Famer Shaquille O'Neal, has announced that she is . "She can get pretty feisty, and she can get pretty competitive -- and we need that.". She didn't miss a game in 2020, returning to action eight months after surgery and finishing the season with 222 kills and 113 blocks. Asjia ONeal has been a national volleyball star since middle school. The 72-year-old Toney played high school basketball and received the All-State guard title. Her younger brother, Shaqir, second from left, will also play at TSU. RELATED: See LeBron James' 16-Year-Old Son, Who's Already a Basketball Star. Amirah has committed to LSU with her elder brother Shareef O'Neal on April 16 of 2020. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Jermaine had set up a home gym, and she liked training on her own timeline. The Basketball Hall of Famer's 19-year-old daughter Amirah O'Neal committed to play basketball at Texas . Hook Em! pic.twitter.com/qZyGv1ESgr, Asjia O'Neal (@asjiaoneal) April 27, 2016. fishing, mountainside furniture racing, high school volleyball, rookie league baseball, and whatever was going on at the local rodeo.Author Scott Reiss -- of . "She never wanted to accept that her heart [condition] prevented her from doing certain things that other people could easily do," Mesha said. Unsurprisingly, a few of Shaq's kids are following in his footsteps by succeeding on the court. She had a lot to learn -- volleyball's rules were "weird" -- but she loved the intensity, the ability to work closely with her teammates when the ball was in the air and the speed of the game. Midway through a cartwheel, Asjia said, "Dad, I'm going to win it." Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Because of it, I'm better.". ", "You just had your whole chest open, and you're already back," Gabriel recalled telling O'Neal. Arnetta became Shaquille's girlfriend officially after Taahirah's birth. As Asjia wraps up the story of her second surgery, she puts down her spoon, her gel manicure (with a white squiggly line design), glinting in the sunlight. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. "[Asjia] was not able to perform because her heart was not able to [sustain] at that level.". But seven years later, just as she was positioned to become an impact player at one of the elite programs, the one thing she wanted to avoid at all costs was staring her right in her face: a life without volleyball. Shaquille O'Neal's third daughter, Taahirah, 24, is from his relationship with ex Arnetta Yardbourgh. Me'Arah O'Neal, a four-star prospect in the Class of 2024, is considered one of the top players in her class. Now, she's somewhere in the high 90s. Also, Shaq has a daughter called Taahirah, with whom he had with his ex . Copyright 2022 Rolling Out. "I was so young. ", Said Koehler: "She was playing at a low 60% capacity before the surgery. "I'm proud of the moment and just coming back from it -- so now, I'll wear whatever. It was for his daughter. (O'Neal has a daughter with Arnetta Yardbourgh. Nobody expects them to be as large or as dominant as their dad, of course, but Shaq's 13-year-old daughter is making quite the name for herself at a young age. Asjia will play another volleyball season at Texas as she finishes her master's degree in sport management (she finished her undergraduate degree in corporate communications in three years). That includes his second eldest daughter, Amirah, who's a basketball star at her father's alma mater, Louisiana State University. O'Neal's voice grows louder toward the end of the sentence, like she really wants people to hear her. / Shaunie O'Neal was born on November 27, 1974 in Wichita Falls, Texas, USA. It would have been impossible to know then, but that bleak hospital visit actually would be cause for chocolate cake. All rights Reserved. 2 overall seed and opened the tournament with a sweep of Sacred Heart at home. "We're going to get a second opinion," Mesha said forcefully into the phone. Unlike the rest of the Shaq children, Taahirah isn't involved in basketball. A 12-year-old growing up in Southern California, she was born into basketball royalty and is now starting to showcase that n Now, it is anybody's set. Keisha Lance Bottoms previews President Bidens trip to Selma, Tom Sizemore Dies At The Age Of 61 Following A Brain Aneurysm, Singer Juanialys music brings positive vibes, Songstress Melba Moore continues to pave the way for the next generation, Anslem ElumogoGardner shares the top 3 skills a future executive needs, Dr. Dana Laughlin gives advice for finding a therapist. She would need six weeks of rest before she could be cleared to play. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday. "It's not safe for you to play volleyball anymore.". By clicking submit, you agree to receive emails from Rolling Out and accept our web terms of use and privacy and cookie policy. Shaquille O'Neal, commonly known as just Shaq, 49, . The previous day doctors had told her that recovery would be more difficult this time. However, admittedly, the thought of the man asking his adorable daughter for it, and her begrudgingly giving it to him is a fun thought to have. Shaquille O'Neal, aka Shaq, is a retired professional basketball player who is currently serving as a sports analyst. Shaquille O' Neal was born on 6 March 1972 in Newark, New Jersey, in the United States to Lucille O'Neal and Joe Toney. Grammy-award winning rapper and Houston native Megan Thee Stallion is also a TSU student and intends to join the list of alumni soon, after she recently confirmed her anticipated fall graduation. ON THE MORNING of Jan. 14, 2020, two months before the pandemic shut down the country, O'Neal was wheeled into the operating room, with her parents, her brother, Koehler and coach Elliott by her side. A few minutes later, she heard the doctor ask her if she would consider other, less intense, sports. After a day of exhaustive tests, which included injecting dye into her heart to see the direction of the blood flow, and other athletic tests to monitor her heart at the highest exertion levels, her doctors confirmed the O'Neal family's fears. Took a red shirt in her freshman season. "Obviously they come from that bloodline and what (Shaq) was able to accomplish in basketball, we expect you have a great knowledge and understanding of how to play the game of basketball.". Doctors told Asjia O'Neal it was too dangerous to play volleyball. ", "I felt that I had produced a good piece of art that is going to last long," he said. * Life after basketball own my own business. Two families who traveled from Indianapolis and Kansas City introduced themselves to Jermaine. Aug 03, 2021. "She brings so much energy to the team and we feed off of her all the time.". Who will win nationals? She has a younger brother, and what happened to George Floyd could happen to him. "But because she wanted to play sports, she needed it. At 13, she had undergone an open-heart surgery so she could play the sport she loved at the highest level. * Started playing basketball at age 10. "Athletes, when they are exercising, they convert their cardiac output -- as we call it -- or circulation, they multiply that by at least five times, sometimes more. When the team began doing conditioning and agility training in the sand, she was "blowing through it, beating people in races," O'Neal said. The Los Angeles native was a 2019 . She could push herself to run 30 minutes on the treadmill, something she couldn't dream of doing before surgery. Me'arah, who is the youngest of Shaq's five children, plays for LA's Finest, according to Rivals.com. A post shared by M ?? O'Neal has become a leader for Texas, the national runner-up to Kentucky a year ago. Shaq's kids are going to inherit his genetics and the skills that helped him become a legend in the world of basketball. Shaquille O'Neal is an American former professional basketball player who had a very successful NBA career starting in 1992. Instead of opening up her heart to replace the valve with a prosthetic one, as would be the norm with cases like hers, Najm re-repaired her mitral valve, removing fibrous tissues around the valve before placing the bigger ring. Disney world includes the daughter and grandson of Walt . By . [I'll] guide them in the right path," the former player said. "Asjia is a spitting image of me, but she is better -- a much better version of me," said Jermaine, who went straight from high school to the NBA. "I've always said, 'How do you [know]?' In March 2013, two months after the unsettling diagnosis, Asjia landed in Boston at the Children's Hospital for her first open-heart surgery. The 6-3 ONeal has blossomed as powerful hitter and blocker who helped Southlake be ranked the No. "We'll figure this out," Gabriel said, handing O'Neal a piece of chocolate cake they had brought back from the Longhorns' last-day-of-spring-training celebration. Mesha is sitting next to her eating a salad, and even though she knows Asjia's story intimately, she's paying close attention, nodding at times, and adding her perspective here and there.