This chocolate banana pudding recipe is as quick and easy as the. I have made it in a 913 pan so it can be done! Cause the pudding box added for 2 cups of cold milk. Whisk the pudding mix into the milk.2. Spoon the remaining pudding over the bananas and smooth the top. Provided courtesy of Bobbie Lloyd. Be careful not to overwhip. Sounds like a great banana dessert but it isnt banana pudding without scratch made custard and fluffy meringue. Dont use tonic as it has a bad taste. It really is the best banana pudding with banana flavor. Youre going to love it. 4) Try to keep them airtight. Would 6 or 8 be enough. 23 Easy Banana Recipes for Sweet Baked Goods and Fruity Treats. Make the whipped cream: With a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) whisk heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Its perfect for any occasion! Want to make just half of this recipe, or need to make more or less banana pudding? What can you substitute for Nilla Wafers in banana pudding? Thinly slice the bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe . Try my Pumpkin Gingersnap Banana Pudding for a festive variation. There was an error submitting your subscription. Very different from the traditional southern pudding I grew up on but it is delish! Prepare the custard: Add sugar, salt, and 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour to the yolks. LOL! Baking: Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. It also takes up less space in my fridge. Notes In a large bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined about 1 minute. Instant Pot banana pudding from scratch - Southern desserts at their finest! This recipe makes approximately 12 proportionate slices of banana pudding. Like 1-2 hour in fridge and then in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. Slice the Bananas Peel and Slice four bananas right before assembly. I have the same issue and Im not sure if its a typo. There are simply no substitutions. I have made a recipe similar to this but without the water,it was milk.very delicious! Hey there can I ask how many bananas did you use. Everyone always devours this! Butter cookies, shortbread, sponge cake, and graham crackers are excellent substitutes for other pudding recipes like a fruit crumble, a trifle, or even an icebox cake. Spoon half of the remaining pudding on top of the banana slices to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches above the first layer. Also, you can use heavy whipping cream versus just whipping cream. How do you keep the banana pudding from getting watery? Sooooo good. 100 of my favorite recipes! Then, whisk in your milk. See my recipe noteson how to make them turn brown less quickly. Let sit them I layered them with traders Joes speculoos cookies. The perfect recipe I have made it so many times! Please read my disclosure policy. Learn more here: privacy policy. Did you beat it well? BUT sadly my dad missed out because hes diabetic. (This can also be assembled as individual servings; see Cooks Note.) Its probably because you used 1-1/2 cups of water instead of 1/2 cup. There are lots of variations of banana pudding out there! Set the oven to broil to toast the top until golden. Once the cream begins to thicken, keep beating on high speed until stiff. Hi! Chill until serving. Learn more. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Banana pudding is a signature southern soul food dessert served on a bed of Nilla Wafer cookies and layered with round slices of bananas in between yummy whipped topping, pudding, and cream cheese. And sugar for the brain. The texture of the cookie is uniquely crispy and aerated. My pudding came in a 2.75oz box, not 3.5oz, so I added one cup of water, not 1.5 cups. To assemble dessert, arrange 1/3 of the Nilla wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pre-order your copy here. In a stand mixer with the whisk, whip the heavy cream on medium speed for about 1 minute, until the cream starts to thicken, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form. When do you fold in the whipped cream? To serve, garnish the top with the reserved cookies or cookie crumbs. This creates a barrier between the bananas and the air, slows down oxidation, and prevents your bananas from turning into mushy black. Next, add in the instant pudding. SLATON- A lot has changed at the Slaton Bakery since the Wilson family took charge of the operation nearly 80 years ago. Needless to say I like it ha ha. To begin Magnolia's recipe, start by whisking the milk and cold water. Recipe says 4 hours but is there a way to do it quicker? It started as a small bakery serving the railroad town of Slaton,. You can make this easy recipe in a big container or individual trifles would be really cute! When Chip and I were first married, it was a staple of his moms, and we usually enjoyed it on Christmas Eve. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Ingredients Bleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Shortening (High Oleic Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil. No Cool Whiphomemade whipped cream. Once pudding has thickened into a pudding-like texture, remove it from heat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours. I actually prefer making this in a 913 for easy transportation as well as storage. I made this yesterday and it was so GOOD! You can use this dynamic recipe card above to adjust the serving size for the proportionate amount of ingredients youll need! Let sit for 3 minutes. This is about 8 or 9 fewer cookies as they weigh between 3.5 and 4 g each. I am making it for Easter and I am so glad that a taste of my mom and home will be there. This looks so delicious and I cant wait to make it! Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Caramelized Banana Pudding: You can make delicious caramelized bananas to layer in this recipe. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Subscribe now for full access. LTK affiliate privacy policy HERE, This site uses cookies to deliver its services & analyze traffic. Are we to mis the pudding before adding. Hi! My mom made her banana pudding just like this. Bananas are another of those fruits with an African heritage traced back as far as about 650 AD. I plan on making this this weekend. One disclaimer about using substitutions: this recipe is basically a copycat of the Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe, so if you do sub anything in or out its not going to be as close to that recipe. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Repeat that 2 more times. I used the exact same measurements as above, but subbed all of it for dairy-free/vegan products. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least an hour. Oxidation occurs when bananas are exposed to oxygen, and it causes them to turn brown or black. If youd like to use a trifle dish, divide the vanilla wafers, the bananas and the pudding mixture into 3rds and layer three times instead of just two. Whats up with all of this instant stuff? Line the bottom and sides of a 913 baking pan with Nilla Wafer cookies. Delicious!!! This makes Nillas the perfect pairing for banana pudding! See my notes below about that. This can change the flavor slightly so brushing them is better than soaking them. Great looking recipe, I am making this today! If you accidentally mix in cook and serve like I once did, go ahead and cook it according to the pudding box directions after you mix it with water and condensed milk. Next, fold the chilled pudding mixture into the whipped cream, and stir gently until fully combined. My jello was thick and had a curdle consistency when all my ingredients were fresh and I used the right amounts!! . So yummy! What if I want to make a bigger dish do I just double the ingredients? Cant wait to share this with my family!! Please try again. I cant find a button to pin this. First, I used a trifle dish and layered my vanilla wafer cookies,. Try marshmallows with a torch or under the broiler I like them right before turning black. Garnish the top with additional cookies or cookie crumbs. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Believe me. Do I add cream cheese instead of the whipped or add cream cheese when mixing the water and pudding before referigerating? What do you think happens when your bananas turn black? Can I make this the day before my brunch the following day?? Soul food banana pudding also includes another unassuming secret ingredient cream cheese. Made this last week LOVED IT! Share your recipes with Lauren using the #laurenslatest hashtag! Top with meringue, if desired. So even if youre running short on time, this Southern dessert will be ready in no time! I had some fresh strawberries at home so I ended up layering with bananas and strawberries! Perfectly sweet. The bananas will also turn brown and mushy when defrosted. Made a big hit with my husband and people in our Sunday School class. 1 cups (6 oz/170 g) all-purpose flour teaspoon salt Instructions Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line 3 baking trays with parchment paper. 1) Pick bananas that are barely ripe. The recipe says to chill for 4 hours but no longer than 8. Highly recommend! In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt. This recipe uses sweet ripe bananas. Southern banana pudding (the Black way) is a delightful dessert with a rich, creamy texture and banana flavor profile thatll make your mouth water! Banana pudding does not freeze well. Will try the healthier version for sure! Repeat twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer. Using a small spatula, spread the vanilla pudding evenly over the bananas. Still, there are a few things you can do to prevent your bananas from turning dark so fast in your banana pudding. Banana Pudding, Banana Pudding Recipe, How to Make Banana Pudding. These will tend to brown as fast. It is good , but just not the sweetness I craved for . Press graham cracker mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Hi there-absolutely loved the taste of it and found it similar to Mangnolia Bakery. ), Milk, Eggs, Salt, Natural And Artificial Vanillas, Baking Soda. Incredibly easy to make. Cover tightly and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours - or up to 8 hours, no longer (because bananas will start to brown - see Notes for tips on preventing browning). Transfer a pan to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. This makes me so happy that you loved the recipe! Delicious and a lot less fat. Ladle a cup of the hot milk mixture over the eggs and whisk immediately. Safety warning Contains: Egg, Milk, Wheat. Add the pudding mix and beat well. Sweet, soft and ripe. Whisk together pudding mix and milk. To add extra creaminess, add whipped cream! That way the bananas are always fresh without fuss and I dont feel like it all needs to be eaten in short order before the bananas get yucky. Perfectly sweet and delicious, this Banana Pudding will make you never want another dessert again! 1 12 cups water 23 cup vanilla pudding mix 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 3 cups heavy cream 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers 4 bananas, sliced directions Blend the water, pudding mix and sweetened condensed milk until will mixed. This banana pudding recipe is quick and easy, and its banana pudding with cream cheese the Black way! Layer wafers, banana slices, and pudding mixture in a glass serving bowl. If you do want to make this in advance, simply make the pudding mixture ahead of time and dont assemble with the nilla wafers and bananas until the day before. , Reading this again today makes me hungry! Then add egg yolks and cook, stirring constantly until thickened. The natural sugar in the bananas reacts with the oxygen in the air to create an enzyme calledpolyphenol oxidase(PPO). Lastly, use the right wafer cookies. I am a big fan of banana pudding, and this is just how my Mom made it. 3) Rinse them with club soda. The cream itself can be eaten by a spoonfuls just along. (PPO). 4-5 ripe bananas, sliced Instructions Whisk together the cold water and sweetened condensed milk in a medium-sized bowl. We call it soul food. Beat until cream is stiff. Subscriber benefit: give recipes to anyone. This was for Christmas dinner and it is ruined!!! Cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours before serving. Its our go-to dish for traditional African-American cookouts and celebrations. To make the pudding, in a pot whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. I let it sit only to find out it was just as sloshy as it was when I put it in the fridge. Can I make everything the night before and assemble the next day. The life of a food blogger is really weird. Add the pudding mix and beat well - about 2 minutes. box of Nilla Wafer cookies (and cup of crumbled cookies), 4.6 oz. Ive loved it ever since. Me and my two girls just spent Columbus Day weekend in NY. Make your banana pudding the authentic Southern soul food Black way. It will be watery if you don't let it set up long enough. So yum! . I have not tried freezing leftovers. Coming this May: Magnolia Table, Vol. To many, the banana pudding at the famed New York shop Magnolia Bakery is even more iconic than the stores beloved cupcakes. Spread one-third of the. She died last July and like many of the things I forgot to ask her, this recipe was one. Just a heads up, Nilla wafers and their alternates have become victims to the shrinking products phenomenon and are now in 11oz boxes. Here is what you can expect making this Banana Pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours to overnight. In the bowl of an electric stand-mixer (using the whisk attachment), mix together the ice cold water (start with 3 cups and work to 4 cups if needed based on the consistency of pudding), vanilla pudding mix, and sweetened condensed milk until thick, about 10 minutes on medium-high speed. Id appreciate any help! Divine. But how do you make banana pudding the Black way? In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Arrange 1/3 of the Nilla wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary. I am making this recipe for the second time in three days. 30 Best Pudding Recipes for a Creamy, Homemade Dessert. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. Thanks for your help! Make the pudding mix: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together powdered pudding mix, milk and condensed milk until smooth. It is OK to prepare banana pudding in advance of the day you serve it. 2. Splash in about 1/4 of the milk and start blending mixture with a whisk. Do you think I could replace the pudding with instant cheesecake for a more tangy version? I would totally agree with you except Ive done that and I swear its not as good as this recipe as written. I just made a vegan version of this and it turned out absolutely perfect! Instructions: Lightly spray a 913-inch baking dish with cooking spray.